Search This Blog

Saturday, May 14, 2011

gold and friends

   This Saturday will be my first real whole day up on the river. I was up at 5 am made my lunch , kissed the wife and on my way. I grabbed a coffee at Circle K and got on my way. Its about a 60 min. drive for me , I had a lot of time to dream of what my day will bring.

   I got to the pull off where I was told i could start but after more videos online i decided to walk upstream a little and see if there was any place that would jump out at me. I rounded the first bend and see a man setting up a dredge. I said hi and introduced myself, He introduced himself as Doug. I was in hopes that the people here would be as friendly and help full as I have read about online, and I was not disappointed. I was telling Doug this will be my first real time doing this and was unsure about what I was doing. At this time he pulled out his sniffer bottle dumped it into his pan to show me just what I was looking for, the collar of the gold in this river and just how heavy it is in water. This info gave me a whole new rush of confidence and to make it even better he offered me his sluice box to use for the day. It was an offer I could not say no to and I started my day I picked my spot with great care, And started digging. Armed with my 5 gallon pail and a new number 16 screen. (I only planned on panning)

   I filled my first bucket and started scoop by scoop and in no time I had my first flake of gold then more and more. after 2 more not full buckets I had enough and could take no more. my back was killing me my but from sitting on rocks. I gathered my tools and headed over to Doug's area he was just getting out of the water himself. he showed me how to clean the sluice box out was also willing to show me how to pan a small hand full in my con's. as he got down to the gold I was pumped this was real gold and it was mine. wow the fever hit me like a run away truck that did not even try to stop. i user one of his pans as a safety pan  and panned out the rest of my con's with a smile and vary slow at it. Doug told me speed will come for now just get to know what I was doing. after my gold was in my sniffer bottle i asked him if he would not mine panning the safety pan to see how I did and he did so. I am happy to say he found nothing and praised me for a job well done. I stayed to watch his clean up and he had a great deal more gold than I and we had a fun time talking.

   It was time to call it a day I Thanked him for all his help, Made a joke about my gold fever being his falt and  I was on my way home to show my wife the take for the day.


Well this is not much or as my wife said "Thats It!" but i had a great time made a new friend and i am now on the way to being in better shape maybe next time i can dig more faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment